Thursday, December 21, 2017

Countdown to Christmas with Not Just Scraps ~ Card 18

Countdown to Christmas
with Not Just Scraps
Card 18

Today's posting is actually going to cover THREE card images as I used all the figures in the Stampendous kit #CSD10, Ice Skating Santa and Friends, designed by Fran Seiford. 

I had a layout in mind with the mason jar being made into a shaker card, and these images looked like they would fit perfectly.  Plus I wanted to use the new trick of using craft foam for the center instead of foam tape.  Needless to say, making two of each of these, with all the added things my head kept creating, they took FOREVER to make!  But they were super cute and definitely original!  Here's what the finished products looked like, then I'll share a couple more details.




My Jar Die was a solid die, so I took a fancy shaped Spellbinder rectangle and carefully taped it to the center of the edge of the jar die.  I was thrilled to find the gray striped paper that really made the jar look similar to a mason jar.  
If you look closely you can see the blue foam sticking out slightly.  You have to cut one foam frame die for each jar also.  I discovered that the foam stretches slightly running it through the die cutting machine.  Later I realized, when gluing I could line up the center, and pull the excess to the outer edge, then trim with real sharp scissors.  
At this point you can remove the center die, and cut a solid backing if you like.  However I elected to use the card base for my backing, especially since I wanted it to look like falling snow and be consistent across the card.  
The acetate / transparency will not cut well (at least for me) through the die machine, so I always just hand cut the shape.  
Your gluing order will be, Face down:  1-gray paper mason jar; 2-acetate window; 3-foam die shape.  At this point, add your ribbon or string around the neck of the mason jar so it will end up behind the jar on the finished card.  Lay it back down ~ now you're ready to add the confetti.  Add about 1/2 teaspoon of your confetti, which will stick to everything except where you want it to!  (use your embossing buddy or talc powder to reduce the static cling)   
On your background paper, your image should be glued in the appropriate spot and also glue one or two pieces of the confetti around the image.  
Then add glue to the top of the foam die shape and carefully add the backing of the card.  Rub gently around the shape of the mason jar for for about 30-45 seconds to allow time for the glue to dry before turning it over. 
For this card, I added the red strip to the right and stamped a small tag (by Couture Crafts) with the Christmas greeting, and attached to the strip to finish off the card.
I should also say to those who have not used the craft foam before, if you are using a larger item for you confetti, you may need to double the craft foam.  It is thin, and works fine for small beads and for sequins.  But items like buttons or thicker items, you will need the space to be thicker to allow movement.
I realize this is a very long posting, Lots of steps, but really not hard to do at all.  I wanted to be sure I explained it well for you as I'd really like to see what you come up with when you try using the crafting foam instead of the foam tape.

Thank you for stopping by today and following my blog postings. 
Just a few more days to be eligible for the Christmas prize drawing, so be sure to comment below or on my Facebook page, Not Just Scraps to have your name entered.
Serving a Risen Savior, Pam

This posting will appear on the following sites:


No comments:

Post a Comment